Redwood Crossing Guard Program (RCGP)
The Redwood Crossing Guard Program provides education, encouragement, and support for adult crossing guards in Humboldt County’s elementary and middle-schools. The RCGP plays an important role in the health and safety of local children by developing safe walking and bicycling environments as well as encouraging families to choose active modes of transportation.
A volunteer crossing guard program was piloted by the Eureka City School District at Lafayette Elementary School during the months of April, May, and June 2015. Volunteer corssing guards were trained by the California Highway Patrol and served one hour shifts before and after school. This all-volunteer program is the first of its kind in Humboldt County and will continue during the 2015-2016 school year. It is anticipated that the success of this program can be duplicated at other schools in Eureka and throughout the County.
Other activities of the RCGP include:
- Collecting and analyzing local data to prioritize the need and ability of schools to implement a crossing guard program.
- Organizing workshops for school districts that focus on policies and best practices of model crossing guard programs.
- Offering train-the-trainer workshops for law enforcement personnel to become adult crossing guard trainers.
- Adult crossing guard trainings provided by law enforcement for interested schools.
- Working with interested schools and school districts to pilot crossing guard programs at their schools.
- Providing pedestrian and bicycle safety education, a crossing guard campaign, and Golden Sneaker Award activities at schools.